Saturday, April 14, 2012

A Therapeutic Gospel-A. Student

    I listened to a sermon titled, “Why Should You Get Saved?”  The sermon can be found at  .  Overall, the sermon was pretty good.  However, the first two points of the message were about the earthly benefits of being saved.  He began by saying that getting saved is the only way to blot out your sins.  This was a good start.  He then proceeded to say, “All your trouble is caused by your sin.”  This reminded me of the counterfeit, Therapeutic Gospel, which Trevin Wax describes by saying, “The church helps us along in our quest for personal happiness and vocational fulfillment.”  The reverend said that all of one’s problems will go away if he gives his life to Christ.  He was trying to convince people to get saved in order to find happiness. 
    For his second point, he said, “You should get saved, because then Jesus will carry your heavy load.”  Again, he said that Jesus will take all of one’s problems and burdens away when they get saved.  His text was Matthew 11:28-30 which says, “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls; for my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”  He used this to say that Jesus will make their job (vocation) easier as well.  His third point was good.  He talked about getting saved in order to break the hold that hell has on one’s heart.  After giving an invitation, he said to the camera, “We’ll be back in a moment to pray for the sick.”  What happened next caught me a little off guard.  He began forming “healing lines” where he would touch the sick or injured and pray for them.  Then they went through some theatrics where the person got up and was “healed”.  Coming from a Fundamental Baptist church, that was not what I was expecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment